The two-time world champion Fernando Alonso, is “conscious and well in himself” and now awaiting further medical examinations on Friday morning, his Alpine F1 team said in a statement.

There were no further details released, with the team saying that the next update will be on Friday.

Italy’s Gazzetta dello Sport had earlier reported that Fernando Alonso was hit by a car while he was cycling on roads near Lugano.

READ MORE NEWS  Formula 1: Romain Grosjean Completes IndyCar Test Debut In Racecar Return

The newspaper also says that the Spaniard was hospitalized for checks, with X-rays showing a suspected jaw fracture, and that Alonso was being transferred to Bern for further examination.

F1 pre-season testing starts in Bahrain in four weeks’ time, with the racing season underway at the same venue on March 26-28.

Alonso is returning to F1 this year after two seasons spent racing in other categories, with the 39-year-old back with the team he won his two world titles with in 2005 and 2006.

READ MORE NEWS  Formula 1: McLaren Reveals First Look Of 2021 Formula 1 Car As Daniel Ricciardo Debuts

The former McLaren and also Ferrari driver, Fernando Alonso, who won the World Endurance Championship with Toyota in 2019, while he has also competed in the Indy 500 and Dakar Rally.

Alpine is the new name for the Renault team, with the Enstone outfit undergoing a rebrand ahead of the 2021 season.

Alonso completed a number of tests in the closing months of 2020 to prepare for his F1 comeback, making his full official testing return at the end-of-season session in Abu Dhabi in December.

READ MORE NEWS  Thomas Tuchel Signs A Two-Year Extension At Chelsea After Champions League Victory

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *