Saudi Arabia has barred travelers from Nigeria and other countries from performing 2021 Hajj over coronavirus concerns. The country revealed on Saturday that it will allow 60,000 vaccinated residents of the kingdom to perform the annual hajj.

The hajj ministry said this year’s pilgrimage would be “open for nationals and residents of the kingdom, limited to 60,000 pilgrims”.

With this, travelers from Nigeria have been barred from performing hajj for the second time in a row. Last year, the kingdom also hosted downscaled hajj amid the coronavirus pandemic, preventing thousands of Nigerian pilgrims from participating.

READ MORE NEWS  Top Headlines Across Newspapers Today, May 27, 2021

The pilgrimage, scheduled to be held at the end of July, would be limited to those who have been vaccinated and are below 65 years of age with no chronic illnesses, it said. The hajj – a must for able-bodied Muslims at least once in their lifetime — typically packs millions of pilgrims into congested religious sites and could be a major source of contagion.

READ MORE NEWS  COVID-19: Doctors Demand Better Welfare Over Exposure To Risk

Meanwhile, the revered Black Stone in the Kaaba – which is customary but not mandatory to touch during the pilgrimage – remains out of reach.

“In light of what the whole world is witnessing with the coronavirus pandemic… and the emergence of new variants, the relevant authorities have continued to monitor the global health situation,” the hajj ministry said Saturday.

“Considering the large crowds that perform hajj, spending long periods of time in multiple and specific places… required the highest levels of health precautions,” it added in the statement carried by SPA.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *