Plant-based food blogger, Zuliya Khawaja shares recipe for preparing her traditional meal, “Uzbek Osh” in celebration of her Muslim friends.
“Uzbek Osh (Plov, Рлов) veganized for the last night of Ramadan. 🌙
Eid Muborak to my family and friends who are celebrating!
Sharing a traditional dish from my country today. Traditionally it’s made with meat but I veganized it.” – Zuliya
View this post on Instagram
* 2 packets of extra firm tofu, drained and pressed.
* 3 cups of medium grain rice.
* 1/4 cup olive or avocado oil for frying
* 1 cup julienned carrots
* 2 medium size onions
* 1 tbsp of coconut aminos or tamari (optional)
* 1 tbsp cumin
* 2 whole heads of garlic
* 2 long dry chilies
* Handful of slivered almonds
* Handful of sultanas
* salt to taste
* Large cast-iron (dutch oven) or bigger, preferably round-bottomed
* Wash the rice until clear, cover with cold water and let it soaks for an hour.
* Pressed the tofu to release all the liquid. Pat dry and break it in 1 1/2 inch chunks or cut it in cubes.
* Slice onions into thin rings or half-rings.
* Clean heads of garlic.
* Heat oil in the dutch oven on high flame, deep-fry the tofu until golden brown. Add the coconut aminos to brown the tofu. Fry the onions until golden, stir to prevent onion from burning. Add the carrots and stir gently. Add the 1/2 tbsp of cumin and dry chili. Then add the sultanas. Stir.
* Lower the heat to medium, pour 3 cups of hot water, add salt and let it simmer for 20 min.
* Turn heat to high. Drain rice, place it on top the tofu and veggies, in one layer, stick the garlic and whole chillies, slivered almonds in it, and carefully pour boiling water over it (place a spoon or ladle on top of the rice to keep the rice in place). Cover the rice with about 1 inch of water, let it boil. Add 2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tbsp of cumin. As the water on top of the rice boils, make sure it boils evenly. You can you the back of the spoon to make holes around the rice to allow even boiling. Keep in eye on the rice while it’s boiling. Water will reduces completely.
* Reduce heat to very low, cover tightly with the lid and let it steam 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Carefully mix rice with tofu and carrots. Pile the plov on a large plate and serve with garlic, chilies and plain thinly sliced tomato-sweet onions-chili-salt salad.
This Recipe Belongs To Zuliya Khawaja